Saturday, November 24, 2012

Des commentaires post election

I'm proud of my country. 

I will admit, those aren't words that would have always expressed my opinion about my country, but one has to remember that my generation has grown up where a majority of our lives have been while our country has been at war - and not even a war against a people or a person but an idea, and unlike people ideas aren't conscious and thus can't retreat or give up.  All that is to say, I haven't always been proud of my country's international presence.  However, in the wake of Obama's re-election, in light light of my experiences here in Guinea and serving in the Peace Corps in general, and upon reflection of Obama's first electoral victory, I can say with conviction, I am proud of my country.
I'm proud to serve my country by serving another country.  And I'm proud of my country to understand that wisdom. 
Not being able go five steps outside my house without hearing someone - a Guinean, obviously - saying "OBAMA!" or seeing a shirt that says "Obama girl" or an umbrella that has Obama's name written on it or a flashlight with Obama's face or "Obama lube" - car grease, or my friend Yacine (the philosophy teacher at my school, a Guinean) reciting word for word various speeches of Obama, really makes me realize that I am a citizen of a special country.  The people here love the United States, but their adoration of Obama indicates something more.  People don't admire us because we have a powerful army or the biggest weapons, nor because we're one of the wealthiest nations, nor because we have some of the best schools, instead they admire our ideals.  They admire our democracy - that when Obama won against McCain in 2008, McCain was the first to congratulate Obama, likewise this year in 2012 Romney again congratulated Obama on his victory.  People - myself included - admire what Obama represents: a United States of America, where the American Dream is a reality, where an underlying humanity unites us in spite of differences in race or creed. 
In 2008, Obama represented Change - in fact he was the beacon of hope that we, as a people national and global, had for change.  Change - progress to a more united country and a world that's healthier, safer, and more equitable.  This time in 2012 Obama's re-election shows that we're still hungry for that change, but that we realize it doesn't come over night, nor over 1461 nights, but that doesn't diminish our hope for change.  We believe it can come, and if it can come, with our will and our action, it will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment